These macaroons are not only beautiful but also really delicious, the inside is soft and chewy and the outside has some deliciously crunchy caramelized edges. It’s a heavenly combination of textures which, combined with the buttery condensed milk and the sweet and salty coconut, makes for a memorable cookie.
They not only make the perfect Mother’s day dessert for the Mamma bird in your life, but they are also perfectly in theme for a baby shower or Easter dessert. In fact, these cookies have met with rave reviews everywhere I have ever brought them. In addition to being pretty and delicious, macaroons are also so easy to make, requiring only a few ingredients and almost no prep time.
Leah’s Ingredient Snobbery for this Dish
I’m picky about ingredients and I definitely have my favorite brands…
Coconut- for this recipe I am very loyal to the Baker’s brand of coconut because I find it far superior to any other brand.
Condensed Milk- I used Carnation Organic Condensed Milk, because I try to buy organic dairy where I can,
Vanilla- for the cookies I used Nielsen Massey Madagascar Vanilla which I use for every recipe that includes vanilla.
Jordan Almonds- Last, for the all blue Jordan Almonds, I looked around at local places and finally found them here on Amazon.
I used my Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer to mix these cookies . And I have to tell you, I’m having a special little moment here as I type this.. I went to get the link to the mixer and just realized that for the first time since 2002 when I registered for this mixer for my wedding shower, my color, Lavender, is being produced!! Clearly it doesn’t take much to get me excited because I truly am. I’ve always loved this color and now when people ask me about it on Instagram I don’t have to say its discontinued and put a frowny face, I can refer them to my blog and tell them to click here! I can also tell them that the cookies taste better when they are made in a lavender mixer. Sure, that would be a blatant lie, but I can say it.
Hope you try and enjoy the cookies!
Mother’s Day Birds Nest Macaroons
- 14 ounces SweetenedShredded Coconut
- 14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 extra large Egg Whites at Room Temperature
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 48 each Jordan Almonds
- Pre measure all ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Combine the coconut,condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of anelectric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firmpeaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture withyour spatula. Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper usinga teaspoon. Mine took about two teaspoons full to make the nest in the correctproportion to the eggs .
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool andserve